Mushroom Asada Tacos with Avocado
- 8 oz shiitake mushrooms for a deep umami flavor or Oyster mushroom for milder flavor
- 1/4cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3cup orange juice
- 4cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 1chipotle pepper in adobo, chopped (or 2 teaspoons chili powder)
- 1teaspoon smoked paprika
- juice of 2 limes
- 1/2cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- corn or flour tortillas, warmed
SALTED LIME AVOCADO
- 2avocados, mashed
- juice and zest of 1 lime
- Maldon sea salt
- 1/2of a small pineapple, cubed
- 1jalapeño, seeded and chopped
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/4cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- crumbled feta or cotija cheese, for serving(optional)
- Add the mushrooms to a ziplock bag. Next add the olive oil, orange juice, garlic, chipotle peppers, paprika, lime juice, cilantro, and a large pinch of salt. Seal the bag and marinate 10 minutes or in the fridge up to overnight.
- Meanwhile, stir together the avocado, lime juice and zest, and a pinch of salt.
- To make the salsa. In a bowl, combine the pineapple, jalapeño, lime juice, cilantro, and a pinch of salt.
- Preheat your grill or grill pan to high. Remove the mushrooms from the marinade and sear for 5 minutes, flip and sear another 5 minutes or until lightly charred on both sides. Slice into strips.
- Spread the avocado onto the warmed taco shells, and top with the mushrooms, salsa, and cheese. Enjoy!
Recipe adaptation from: